This November 30 is the 10th Small Business Saturday®, which means it’s almost time to celebrate with your favorite small businesses in Salt Lake City. American Express started the grassroots movement in 2010 to encourage more people to “Shop Small”. Today it’s a Salt Lake City shopping tradition that has taken root.
Black Friday and Cyber Monday are no longer days on the calendar but a week long push for holiday shoppers, inundating them with offers. Help Salt Lake City’s small businesses stand out and compete. “Vote” with your dollars. By placing those dollars in your local business we help strengthen our local economy.
Advantages to Buying Locally
- Small businesses give their customers a custom shopping experience they can’t get anywhere else. It’s about relationships and exceptional customer service.
- You know when you buy from local small business your gift will be thoughtful and unique.
- Small business anchors the popular commercial districts in our city. By supporting local business, we help keep that quaint shopping experience within our communities.
- Small business owners are artists and makers. They are original, productive and creative. They fuel new concepts and ideas that make our economy thrive.
The Hidden Costs of Getting a Good Deal
If you spend $100 at a national retailer, $13 stays in Utah. But if you spend $100 at a locally owned business $55 stays in Utah.
“It’s a way to support Main Street and our small businesses in the community,” says Acting Director of Salt Lake City Economic Development Ben Kolendar, “If you’re going to spend a hundred dollars for a holiday gift, think about just spending 10 percent of that—which is only $10—to a local business. If everyone did that, we can return over $1 billion to our local economy.”
How You Can Help – Small Business Resources
- Register your business with Local First Utah or find one here
- A list of businesses who have received a loan from Salt Lake City’ Economic Development Loan Fund, a great program to help small businesses succeed!
- Salt Lake City Arts Council Holiday Craft Market
- Salt Lake City Winter Market
- Utah Arts Festival Marketplace
- Red Butte Garden Holiday Open House and Art Fair
- Jewish Arts Festival Hanukkah Market
- Downtown Artist Collective Holiday Market
- The HIVE Holiday Pop Up at Trolley Square
- Utah Pride Center Not Yo’ Mama’s Holiday Market
- Holiday Makers Market – Gateway and 9th & 9th
- Win-Win Holiday Market
… and that’s not all of them! Please comment here if we missed one.
Even if you don’t have a lot of shopping on your list, you can help by going out to your local coffee shop, go out to breakfast, get a pedicure, … anything that helps honor and celebrate the hardworking men and women who fuel Salt Lake City’s economy.
Shop Small Business Crawl
Now in its 2nd year, the Local First Utah Shop Small Business Crawl celebrates locally owned, independent businesses that are the backbone of our economy, plus shoppers like you!
WHAT: A passport-style shopping event. Pick you your passport at participating businesses the day of the event. Get it stamped where you shop, then return your passport to select locations to win prizes!
WHEN: Saturday, November 30, 2019 ~ 10 am to 5 pm
WHERE: 9th & 9th ~ Harvey Milk Boulevard ~ Central 9th ~ The Granary District ~ 9th & 9th West ~ 1100 East in Sugar House
Save the date to Shop Small® with us because when you do, you make a big difference for our business and our community. Join us in making this Small Business Saturday one to remember!